Rodents Carry Dangerous Diseases
In addition to the structural damage, rodents can cause health issues to the people around them. Diseases that people can get from rodents include:
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome - This virus can be picked up from the droppings and urine of deer mice. It causes severe illness in humans and nearly one-third of the cases reported in Washington state resulted in fatality.
- Plague - The Plague is a serious bacterial infection that humans can contract from flea bites. Fleas contract this bacteria from infected wild animals, such as rodents. Dogs and cats can also contract the disease and spread it to humans. In 2015, there were fifteen reported cases of the Plague.
- Salmonellosis - Salmonellosis is a bacterial infection of the intestines caused by the bacteria Salmonella. The bacteria is spread through the droppings of infected animals and humans. It can cause serious disease in children, the elderly, and people with weak immune systems.
- Monkeypox - Monkeypox is a virus that spreads through contact with rodents or their blood and can cause respiratory problems in humans. There is no specific treatment for monkeypox, only a vaccine that lowers your risk of contracting it.
Signs To Look For
Below are a few of the signs indicating that your home may have been invaded by rodents:
- Scratching noises at night inside the walls or ceiling
- Droppings or urine stains in attic or crawlspace insulation
- Dark colored oily smudges on top of small openings that rodents could get through
- Nests in insulation near and around ducting
- Pets, dogs or cats, scratching or staring at floor vents because they can hear rodent activity
Why Wasps Are So Dangerous
Do you know why wasps can be worse than honey bees? Honey bees can only sting once, but wasps don't have that same attribute and can sting you again and again. They are also easily provoked, even by accident. If you hit or smash a wasp, pheromones are released that will alert other wasps to attack you. Wasps are very aggressive when defending their colony and are more likely to attack when you are within 7-8 yards of their nest.
Wasps Can Cause Structural Damage
Wasp nests or hives can cause structural damage when they are built inside of your home. When lying on drywall, the nests or hives can cause the drywall to disintegrate. As the drywall disintegrates, more and more wasps will come into the structure leading to a dangerous situation.
Signs To Look For
Here are some signs your home may have been invaded by a wasp colony and are in need of Bellevue wasp nest removal:
- Nests or hives in and around structures
- High numbers of wasps, yellow jackets, or hornets
- Constant activity of wasps coming from or going into any particular opening
Hobo Spider Identification
Hobo spiders have a V-shape pattern on their abdomens, solid brown legs, hairy legs and back, 5/8 – 1¾ inches long including the legs, and noticeable spinnerets. They are fast runners, make funnel-shaped webs, and are nocturnal.
Hobo Spider Bite Symptoms
Hobo spider bites are painful and in some cases have lead to death. If you are bitten by a hobo spider, seek medical attention to get proper treatment. The symptoms of a hobo spider bite include:
- Muscular weakness
- Severe headache
- Joint pain
Ways to Get Rid of Hobo Spiders
Clear the Clutter
If you have a lot of clutter around your house, clear it. The more clutter you have, the more places there are for hobo spiders to hide.
Clean your House
Spiders come around when there are other insects that can be eaten. And other insects come around when there is stuff in your house that they can eat. So clean up your kitchen, vacuum, dust, do laundry regularly, and keep your house clean.
Improve your Storage
If you are currently storing things in cardboard boxes, be prepared to find lots of hobo spiders. Make the switch to plastic bins that can be securely closed. If spiders can't get in, they won't stick around.
Fill in Hide-Away Holes
Hobo spiders usually made their webs in cracks, holds, or crevices. By filling in these holes with silicone caulk you can keep them away from your home.
Hobo spiders are drawn to moisture so by getting a few dehumidifiers, you can create an environment that they dislike.
Make your Yard Unattractive
Your yard doesn't have to unattractive to humans, but it should be to spiders. Remove plans and vegetation within a foot of your house, get rid of debris piles, and remove all mulch. Insects are drawn to mulch and the hobo spiders follow.
Classic Insulation can take care of all your Mill Creek Pest Control needs.